A download code allows fans to download a track or album for free. The codes can be printed, or sent by email from your Mailing List tab.
This help article includes:
- How to add a music feature to your site and create download codes
- How to print download codes onto cards or stickers
- How to send download codes by email
- The Download Codes feature is available to members on the Pro plan.
- Each download code expires 5 days after the first time it is used.
- Each recipient receives a unique download code.
- Fans redeem codes at http://yourdomain.com/dl
- At this time, download codes are not trackable.
How to add a Music feature to your site and create download codes:
If there’s already a Music feature on your site, skip to step 4.
- From the ‘Edit Content’ tab, click ‘Pages’ and open the page on which you’ll be working
- Click ‘Add feature’
Select the Music feature or Site wide Player and use the placement arrows to set the feature’s location
Note: The Site wide Player will automatically be placed at the bottom of your website. It cannot be moved as the placement is built into our system.
From the pane on the left, select ‘Download codes’
- Album/Track: Choose the album or track for which you’ll be generating download codes
- Batch name: Title the name of this download code group (Example: New York Show)
# of codes to generate: Type in the number of codes you’d like to generate for this group
Note: Must be less than or equal to 100. To create more codes, add additional groups. If you have a large number of codes to generate, consider numbering the groups in sequence - for example: NY Show 1, NY Show 2, etc.
Click ‘Generate Codes’
How to print download codes onto cards or stickers
Printed download codes can be sold or given out at shows.
- To the right of the download batch you want to use, click ‘Print Codes’ or ‘Export CSV’ (comma separated value)
- Print Codes: Automatically downloads a PDF file that can be used to print the codes onto Avery 5160 mailing labels (or a compatible label format).
- CSV file: Automatically downloads a CSV file that can be used for printing the codes onto different formats (i.e. business cards, stickers, labels, etc.). Set up those codes in print layouts yourself, or send the file to a printing company to have the codes set up and printed professionally.
How to send download codes by email (Group)
Download codes can be sent to your mailing list members. Each recipient receives a unique download code for their use, and will not see the email address or download code of anyone else in the group.
- From the ‘Mailing List’ tab, click ‘New email campaign’ 2. Select an email template or start a new blank design
- Enter your name, email address, and a subject for the email campaign
- Next to ‘Attach a free download’, click the drop-down bar and select the track or album you want to provide for download
- Enter your message in the composition field, and click ‘Preview email’
Note: When sending yourself a test preview, the download code will not be included. This is because the codes are generated only when the campaign is actually sent. So, when your recipients receive the campaign they’ll see a download code at the bottom of the message.
6. Continue through the email campaign steps and click ‘Send now’ or ‘Schedule to send later’ or ‘Save as draft’ to complete the process
How to send a download code by email (Individual)
Download codes aren’t set up to be emailed to individuals, but the Music feature does allow you to send someone a free download link.
- From the ‘Edit Content’ tab, click on the Music feature or Site wide Player to open it
- Select ‘Email a download’ from the pane on the left
- Click the drop-down bar next to ‘Send’, and select the track or album you want to provide for download
- Enter the recipient's email address, and an optional message
- Click ‘Send’
Note: The email will include a ‘Download file’ button. When clicked, the button will lead to your website where the file can be downloaded.